We treat each silhouette as a commissioned work of art. As such, we artistically interpret each profile and individually draw each detail. The picture you send to us doesn't need to be perfect and using a camera phone is just fine. However, if you follow the tips below, your picture will better and more accurately capture the subtle details of the picture's subject.
- The Direction Facing option corresponds to the direction the profile is facing when looking at it. The example shown here is facing right.
- The profile picture should be taken in a well-lit area with a solid background.
- The camera should be level (not above or below) the subject’s face.
- The subject's face (especially their lips) should be as relaxed as possible.
- Make sure the subject is facing straight ahead and that all of their features can be seen. If their head is to the left or right, their features will appear smaller. If they're looking up or down, their jawline won't look correct. A good way to take a profile picture of a wiggly child is to have them watch a show and then take a picture as they are staring at the screen straight in front of them.
- The subject's hair style is an important consideration when taking the picture. Adding hair bows and clips are a good way to add a unique touch to a silhouette. If you scroll through our Facebook page or Gallery, you'll see a ton of examples of different hair styles and embellishments on silhouettes.